Local Food Pantries and Meal Programs Receive $25,000 from Archdiocese

Twenty food pantries and a variety of assistance programs throughout the ten counties of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee recently received over $25,000 to assist individuals and families who struggle to make ends meet.

Donations came from parishes and schools which participated in the 2010 Operation Rice Bowl (ORB) program. ORB is the Lenten program of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) designed to reflect on the lives of our neighbors around the world who struggle with hunger and poverty. CRS receives 75% of the ORB funds to support international programs, while the remaining 25% supports programs that help those in need within the diocese. This year’s campaign raised $100,600, allowing $25,150 to be distributed to local programs.

Record numbers of people are using emergency pantries as unemployment worsens and every bit of help is appreciated. “We were so excited to receive the check from the Archdiocese. This gift is such a blessing!” writes Alicia Ellis, Director of Central City Churches’ Food Pantry in Milwaukee. They help over 1,000 people each month by providing a 2-3 day supply of food.

The Full Shelf Food Pantry in West Bend (Washington County) distributes over 1 million pounds of grocery items annually, and children under the age of 18 comprise 43% of the people they serve. Twin Lakes Area Food Pantry (western Kenosha County) spends an average of $4,144 per month to purchase enough food to supplement the donations they receive. Both pantries expressed their deep gratitude for the recent donations they received through ORB.

Fr. David Preuss of St. Martin de Porres Parish in Milwaukee also thanked the diocese. “ORB funds helped us purchase a new commercial refrigerator so our food pantry can accept more perishable food.”

In addition to food pantries, fifteen St. Vincent de Paul programs in Dodge, Milwaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, and Waukesha Counties received support. A Brush with Kindness (Habitat for Humanity, Milwaukee County), Side by Side (Walworth County), Vincent Family Resource Center (Waukesha County), and Salvation Army’s Kenosha meal program also received financial support from the 2010 ORB donations.

Thanks to generous Catholics who have supported ORB in the diocese since 1984, over $2 million has been donated to CRS. The funds provide clean water, health care, education, and agricultural support in over 100 countries around the world.

For more information about Operation Rice Bowl visit http://orb.crs.org or contact Kathy Shine at 414-758-2285 or shinek@archmil.org.

Congratulations to the following organizations who are this year’s community Rice Bowl recipients.

(For a printable version of this list, click here.)

DODGE COUNTY
Dodge County Food Pantry

FOND DU LAC COUNTY
St. Matthew Food Pantry & Fondy Food Pantry

KENOSHA COUNTY
First Step Service & St. Mark Human Concerns
Salvation Army & Twin Lakes Food Pantry

MILWAUKEE COUNTY
Outreach Meal Program & Project Concern
Central City Churches Food Pantry & Riverwest Food Pantry
Southshore Meal Program & St. Martin de Porres Food Pantry
Tri-Parish Food Pantry & St. Roman Food Pantry
St. Rose Parish
Repairers of the Breach & World Vision
Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity, Brushes of Kindness Program

OZAUKEE COUNTY
St. Peter of Calantara Food Pantry

RACINE COUNTY
Northside Catholic Food Pantry

SHEBOYGAN COUNTY
Northside Christian Food Pantry

WALWORTH COUNTY
Big Foot Emergency Food Pantry
Side by Side (Lake Geneva)

WASHINGTON COUNTY
Full Shelf Food Pantry (West Bend)
Family Promise of Washington County for feeding homeless
Slinger Food Pantry & Hope Now (Elkhorn)
St. Gabriel & St. Boniface Food Pantry (Germantown)

WAUKESHA COUNTY
North Lake Food Pantry & Youth Ministry Program (Dousman)
Vincent Family Resource Center & St. Susan Church
St. Mary Parish Food Pantry (Menomonee Falls) & SAVE Program
Waukesha Food Pantry & St. Vincent de Paul Society

DODGE, MILWAUKEE, RACINE, SHEBOYGAN & WAUKESHA COUNTIES
Fifteen (15) St. Vincent de Paul Society programs that support emergency assistance, food pantries, and meal programs.
 

To order materials for 2011 Lenten campaign (which supports Haiti, Indonesia, Kenya, Senegal, and Honduras), log onto: http://orb.crs.org/

 

Published:11/04/2010
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee

3501 South Lake Drive
PO Box 070912
Milwaukee, WI 53207-0912
PDF map | Google map


Phone:  (414) 769-3300
Toll-Free: (800) 769-9373
Fax:  (414)  769-3408

Copyright © 2014

In an effort to achieve our goals of transparency and accountability, the Archdiocese of Milwaukee has partnered with EthicsPoint, a third-party company, to administer an online service to report financial misconduct. Read more...

Problems with this page?
Contact the webmaster and provide as much detail as possible.

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System