Pope Francis has set October 2019 as an Extraordinary Missionary Month to foster greater awareness of “missio ad gentes” and to animate the missionary transformation of Church life and pastoral activity.
He says, “This missionary mandate touches us personally: I am a mission, always; you are a mission, always; every baptized man and woman is a mission. People in love never stand still: they are drawn out of themselves; they are attracted and attract others in turn; they give themselves to others and build relationships that are life-giving.”
Pope Francis' World Mission Sunday statement for 2019 Baptized and Sent: The Church of Christ on Mission in the World will be our guide as we prepare for October. Over the next few weeks and throughout October we will be posting resources and ways for you to be involved.
Join Us to Celebrate Mission
Please join us October 20th as we celebrate World Mission Sunday with Soups and Sips: A Celebration of Mission.
Join us at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist to learn about mission in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and around the world.
Day will include:
9:00 am: Mass With Archbishop Listecki
Sips of international coffees and light refreshments immediately after Mass
10:15 am: Presentation on Care of Creation & the upcoming Synod on the Amazon
- Mission Displays from locally based Mission Groups & Twinning Parishes that highlight their work around the world.
- Mission/Fair Trade items available for sale/donation
- Details about our upcoming Mission workshops & pilgrimages
- A selection of soups and breads available
This event is free and open to everyone. Free-will donations to support the missions are welcome.
To help us plan appropriately, please RSVP for the event here.
Spread the Word
Please click here for the event flyer to post or share.
How to Live the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019
There are four dimensions, specified by the Pope, to live more intensely the journey of preparation for the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019.
- A personal encounter with Jesus Christ alive in His Church through the Eucharist, the Word of God, personal and communal prayer.
- Testimony: missionary saints, martyrs and confessors of the faith, as an expression of the Church scattered throughout the world
- Missionary formation: biblical, catechetical, spiritual and theological
- Missionary charity.
Please see the sections below for resources and links on each of these items.
Note: Additional Items will be added throughout October.