Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Higher Education required, preferably in the field of teacher education, child care, or related field.
- Working knowledge of office software.
- Valid driver’s license for the State of Wisconsin preferred.
- Practicing Catholic preferred.
- Bilingual Spanish/ English preferred. English required.
- Professional working attitude and collaborative approach.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage students in large and small settings.
- Competence to perform decision-making, problem solving, and troubleshooting.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional working relationship with supervisor and staff.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Models Catholic spirituality, attitudes, and behaviors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Create a faith-filled environment for students by:
- Organizing physical space for activities, e.g., safe, accessible
- Managing student behavior guided by Gospel values, e.g., respectful.
- Establishing classroom routines, rules, and procedures consistent with school policy, e.g., clearly defined, communicated, and practiced.
- Communicating high expectations for behavior, e.g., supporting students for growth.
- Creating a faith-filled environment that engages the whole student, e.g., space and culture
Professional Life as Director of Bookends Program
Understands school’s mission and his/her role in it by:
- Serving as role model for Gospel values for students and families.
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor and attitude in alignment with the school’s mission, e.g., follows Code of Ethics.
- Implements best practices regarding safety, security, and student interaction.
Reflects on practice by:
- Taking responsibility for professional growth, e.g., open and applies to feedback.
Contributes to a positive school environment by:
- Collaborating with colleagues, e.g., analyze, inform plan, and supportive in implementation.
- Transferring expectations to students, through clear directions, procedures, and explanations that are clear and developmentally appropriate.
- Promoting engagement in enrichment activities, play, and/or schoolwork.
- Timely completion/submission of all required documentation related to parent communication, billing.
- Supervising students during all student contact times/activities.
- Informs the Principal and respective staff of plans outside of the norm.
- Attends faculty meetings, in-services, or other school events as requested.
- Provide a safe and well-supervised environment for student play/learning activities.
- Hire program assistants in consultation with the School Principal.
- Direct and supervise the work of the Bookends Assistant.
- Establish a program budget, complete billing for the services, complete payroll for program employees, provide and maintain a financially self-sustaining program.
- Create menu/purchase healthy snacks for the program. Maintain games/materials for student activities
- Review, implement, and practice school crisis plan drills/policies.
- Must take the on-line course of the DPI Wisconsin Medication Training program. The Bookends Director is required to take the training/verification on health concerns related to the students in their care.
- Other duties as assigned.
ADA Physical Requirements:
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear, accompany/lead students throughout the building, and ascend and descend stairs.
- The employee is frequently required to sit for extended periods; use hands; reach with hands and arms.
- Close vision required for paperwork and computer.
- Able to utilize computer keyboard, monitor, classroom technology equipment, and telephone.
- This role functions in a school environment and uses standard classroom equipment.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds.
- The employee is required to supervise students both inside and outside of the school building for assigned duties; stand, move, attend to, and monitor students in various Wisconsin weather conditions- high and low temperatures, moderate precipitation, snow, etc.
- The typical hours for the position are from 6am to 8am and from 3pm to 6pm on scheduled school days.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be 18 years of age or older.
Must submit background check and complete Safe Environment Training through the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.