Through the Director of Music and Director of Liturgy, plans/implements all aspects of the music for the traditional Parish choir, hand bell ensemble, and children's choir in Liturgical Services and other parish activities.
A. Organizes and conducts the weekend mass choir/s on a rotating mass and site basis
- Recruits new members. Organizes, directs, maintains and schedules rehearsals for each choir for singing at Sunday masses and special events.
- Supervises and directs choir members; instrumentalists if present.
- Plans choral anthems/music, procures sufficient music as needed for the assigned choirs.
- Conducts rehearsals for liturgical services as designated for assigned choir(s) activities; arranges for substitutes when unable to be present.
- Prepares assembly for liturgies through rehearsals prior to liturgies, rehearsals with students in parish school or religious education programs.
- Sets up liturgical items (hosts/wine, liturgical books, vessels, microphones and/or sound system and orders of worship/hymnals/slides).
- Develops/produces worship booklets.
- Performs other administrative duties as required.
B. Works with organist/pianist accompanist/s (and other instrumentalists) for Parish liturgical services and other special occassions, planning music and arrangements, directing duties and functions. Helps coordinate and plan the music for special feasts, services and functions (i.e. wedding and funeral music planning) in the Parish/church, working in consultation with the Pastor and other music staff personnel as requested (especially when two or more choirs are singing at the same liturgy/function).
C. Serves on the Parish Liturgy Committee, assisting in planning details of liturgical celebrations, special feasts, and other occassions in the Parish; assisting in preparation and implementation of same.
- Works with the Director of Music to develop the annual budget for the Parish music program(s).
- Submits purchase requests to Director of Music. Catalogues, repairs and manages all printed music materials, library holdings for assigned choir(s).
- May provide input for long-range direction of Parish/liturgy/music program(s).
D. Working in conjunction with the Director of Music, helps implement Parish cantor program; assists in training cantors.
E. Keeps current regarding trends and directions of sacred/church music in the Catholic Church to ensure msuic used in liturgical services and special activities is appropriate and in accordance with Church tradition and current practices and dictates of the Church authorieis.
F. Works cooperatively with Parish staff as well as with Director of Music/Liturgy and Liturgy Committee and maintains Christian attitude/behavior in dealings with all clergy, parish members and the community in general, as a representative of the Catholic Parish community.