The Custodian is responsible for the long and short term cleaning and light maintenance of the buildings and grounds to ensure a safe, clean and physically attractive learning and working environment. Safely perform all custodial tasks in classrooms, hallways, lobbies, washrooms, offices, cafeterias, gyms, entrances and other areas. May have some responsibility for light maintenance work as needed. Handles all work duties in a safe and timely manner and enforces all health and safety codes and requirements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Safely performs all custodial tasks in classrooms, hallways, lobbies, washrooms, offices, cafeterias, gyms, entrances and other areas according to a regular schedule and with a minimum of supervision. Activities may include mopping, dusting, vacuuming, washing, sweeping, sanitizing, snow removal, and others. This may require working outside of normal school hours, including occasional weekends.
- Participates in all phases of the summer cleaning program to include stripping and waxing floors, painting, window washing, deep cleaning, etc.
- Moves furniture, equipment, school and building supplies, as needed.
- Assists in the preparation for school activities and events including set-up and take down, and the collecting and disposing of all trash in and around the school and property. This may require working outside of normal school hours, including occasional weekends.
- Shovels ice and snow and performs general grounds care.
- Operates floor cleaning and other equipment and/or tools necessary for cleaning.
- Represents Siena in a positive manner by interacting professionally, effectively and appropriately with members of administration, teachers, students, their families, outside contractors and others with whom this position must interact.
- Checks for and reports all needs for maintenance, electrical, plumbing, structural or other problems to supervisor. Brings immediate attention to anything which may be a health and/or safety concern to the school principal.
- Coordinates the procurement of cleaning supplies with the supervisor.
- Secure the building daily – doors inside and outside.
- Occasionally on call for emergencies outside of regular work hours.
- Represents Siena in a positive manner by interacting professionally, effectively and appropriately with members of administration, teachers, students, their families, outside contractors and others with whom this position interacts.
- Performs other duties, as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent training and/or experience.
- A minimum of 1 year of building services/maintenance experience in a similar environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques pertaining to the cleaning of a school and school grounds.
- Equipment, materials and supplies commonly utilized in cleaning .
- Safe and sanitary work methods and procedures.
- Third-Class Facilities Engineer License preferred
- Must be able to organize multiple priorities and prioritize their own time.
- Must have superior custodial skills and attention to detail.
- Must be able to operate hand tools, buffers & scrubbers, and power equipment and to meet the physical demands as described below.
- Must have good communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to conduct him/herself in a manner which is consistent with and supportive of Siena’s mission as well as its desire to maintain a healthy, safe, positive work environment for everyone.
- Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Must be comfortable with computers, email and other applications for sending and receiving communications.
- Must be able to complete “Safeguarding All God’s Children” training within 90 days.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Able to lift, use and/or carry tools, equipment, furniture, supplies or materials up to 50 lbs, possibly including up/down steps.
- Able to maneuver furniture, appliances, tools or other equipment up to a distance of several hundred feet with or without the use of assistive tools (such as dollies).
- Able to stand, walk (sometimes on uneven surfaces), crouch, bend, kneel, and go up/down stairs and ladders.
- Able to reach vertically and horizontally.
- Able to perform snow removal, manually or with the help of motorized equipment
- May be exposed to extreme heat, cold, noise, vibration, dust, chemicals.
- Able to communicate verbally with colleagues.
- Good hearing and eyesight.
- Able to read/interpret digital and paper documents.
- Physical dexterity to operate a computer and other equipment.
- Able to work longer hours on occasion, as needed.
- Ability to travel between different school sites and Siena’s office, if needed.