Primary Function of the Position:
As a member of the pastoral staff, the Director of Liturgy and Music plans, coordinates, and implements strategies to enhance all liturgical celebrations. DLM is responsible for overseeing the coordination of all liturgical ministers and all aspects of parish music. DLM is the principal musician for all parish liturgies as well as weddings and funerals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate a knowledge and application of these basic documents and stays current on newly released and/or revised liturgical/music church documents:
• General Instruction of the Roman Missal (2010)
• Understand the requirements of the following in preparing the musical prayer of the parish: the lectionary, liturgical calendar, sacramentary, and sacramental rites.
• Execute all parish liturgical celebrations including weekends., solemnities and feasts, school liturgies, sacramental celebrations, and special occasions, chooses music, coordinates the music ministry, and acts as primary musician/accompanist/director.
• Plan and provide music for non-sacramental celebrations including devotions, vespers/evening prayer, penance celebrations, prayer services, and meetings.
• Prepare assembly for liturgies through rehearsals prior to liturgies, rehearsals with students in parish school or religious education programs.
• Schedule and assist with some training of liturgical ministers (i.e. ushers, sacristans, environment, servers, readers, presiders, gift bearers, extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion, ).
• Recruit, schedule, rehearse, and direct all music ministers and choirs.
• Provide liturgical formation for the parish which fosters full, conscious, and active participation. Help the parish grow in its understanding of liturgy and prayer.
• Prepare Parish Liturgical/Musical Guidelines in collaboration with the Pastor and Prayer and Worship Committee that comply with established liturgical norms.
• Maintain and update worship hymnals.
• Prepare Orders of Worship and any other worship aids for parish liturgies as needed.
• Choose music for assembly, instrumentalists, cantors, and choirs.
• Consult with the staff, liturgy committee, and environment committee to form liturgical goals and initiatives and to plan liturgical season.
• Set up liturgical needs--hosts/wine, liturgical books, vessels, microphones and/or sound system.
• Assist visiting clergy.
• Rehearse music with presiders.
• Create and prepare scripts for readers and priests for Holy Week and other large liturgical celebrations following the Roman Missal, guided by the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy and by the GIRM.
• Oversee the sacristan, sacristy, vessels, and all operations of the liturgical space including maintenance of equipment, ordering of supplies, and ensuring proper liturgical procedures.
• Oversee the coordination and planning of seasonal art and environment including ordering flowers and candles.
• Read and reflect on Sunday and seasonal scriptures.
• Maintain a usable repertoire and file of music.
• Maintain copyright privileges.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• BA in Music from an institution of higher learning.
• Master’s degree is Music or Church Music related preferred, but not required.
• Education or experience in training, delegation, empowering and supervision preferred/required.
• Working knowledge in MS Office products and/or Google documents.
• Valid driver’s license for the State of Wisconsin preferred.
• Active Catholic able to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.
• Bilingual Spanish/ English preferred, not required.
• Completed background check.
• Completed Safeguarding: All God’s Children requirements.
• Professional working attitude and collaborative approach.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong presentation skills
• Ability to multitask and prioritize.
• Ability to make decisions, attentive to details, and troubleshoot.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.