St. James Parish in Mukwonago is a growing parish in southwestern Waukesha County. We currently have a large and vibrant adult choir, an upgraded sound system, high quality musical instruments, and a state-of-the-art video projection system in our Worship Space. The ideal candidate will lead and facilitate the worship experience of the congregation according to the vision of the Second Vatican Council and Archdiocesan guidelines.
The Director of Liturgy & Music serves as a resource person for the Prayer & Worship Committee, all clergy, and liturgy planning teams. Maintains a reference file system for the development of each seasonal liturgy and/or feast. Provides outlines of the various Eucharistic liturgies and liturgical services for the clergy and lay ministers. Is responsible for keeping music copyrights compliant and up to date. Selects liturgical music and encourages the full participation of the assembly. Prepares video presentations for weekend Masses. Introduces and teaches new music. Directs the parish choir(s) and handbell choir. Recruits and prepares instrumentalists and cantors for liturgical services. Coordinates the recruitment, training and scheduling of liturgical ministers. Guides the efforts of Art & Environment Ministers, and Technology Team. Meets with the pastor to establish and review liturgical/music goals and objectives, and to plan the Liturgical Year. Prepares and adhers to an annual budget for liturgy and music programs. Develops and enforces policies and procedures for the use of parish instruments and liturgical areas. Oversees the maintenance and repair of all instruments and audio-visual systems. Communicates clearly, promptly, and professionally with all visitors, volunteers, clergy and parish staff.
The Director of Music and Liturgy should have a Bachelor’s Degree in music or equivalent training with an emphasis in liturgical music. He/she must be familiar with the structures, operations, and traditions of the Catholic Church. The ideal candidate will have previous liturgical/musical experience in a parish setting.
Competencies and Skills:
1. Choral conducting skills for both adults and youth.
2. Availability for weekday evening practices, Sunday liturgies, and teen Masses on Sunday evenings.
3. Keyboard and vocal skills.
4. Handbell experience desired, but not required.
5. Must have the pastoral skills to collaborate and communicate with parishioners, visitors, parish councils and committees, staff members, and various outside vendors and service technicians.
6. Demonstrates a current working knowledge of computers and liturgical technologies.
7. Must be flexible, dependable, trustworthy, and be able to delegate and manage time well.
8. Is expected to continue his/her development of pastoral, liturgical, and musical skills through regular practice and professional growth opportunities.
9. This person should be an active and informed member of the different professional associations available to musicians and liturgists, especially in ALMA (Archdiocesan Liturgical Musicians Association of Milwaukee).