Opening in 2015, Cristo Rey Jesuit in Milwaukee is the 29th school in a growing national network of Catholic high schools recognized for transforming urban education through a unique integration of rigorous academics, professional experience, and spiritual formation. Cristo Rey’s mission is to serve students of limited financial means and empower them to succeed in college and in life. Currently we serve over 400 students and families. Cristo Rey’s innovative model calls for our students to attend class four days per week and work in a professional setting five days per month through our Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP). While some of our students will enter high school below grade-level academically, it is the collective mission of our staff to ensure that our students gain admission to—and ultimately graduate from—college. In pursuit of that goal, Cristo Rey has a longer school day and an extended academic year, and our teachers innovate, plan, reflect, and practice so that they maximize their impact in the classroom.
As part of Cristo Rey’s motivated and collaborative teaching staff, you will educate students in mind and spirit. Through engaging, data-informed instruction that effectively incorporates technology to enhance learning, you will ensure all students are academically prepared for college, reflective about their learning in both the classroom and the Corporate Work Study Program, and equipped with the habits of mind that undergird success. Your relentlessness, zest, and commitment to excellence will help form a student body distinguished by breakthrough achievement gains, a passion for justice, and dexterity in the professional world. In the spirit of Ignatian pedagogy, you will create opportunities for students to act, reflect, and grow as they become men and women for others. Your interpersonal intelligence, courage, and drive to find solutions will make you an integral member of our high-functioning, vibrant team—one that is grounded in a deep commitment to the school’s mission. Ultimately, by giving generously of yourself, your gifts, and your time, you will help grow a school that serves its students’ diverse needs and cultivates their many talents.
- Plan and execute high-impact lessons that accelerate student learning of key Algebra 1 concepts.
- Maintain a focused and productive classroom environment that supports student learning and conveys warmth, order, and a feeling of welcome.
- Work individually and in small groups with students to master key concepts.
- Maintain professional presence including dress, organization, punctuality, and attendance at daily staff meetings.
- Assess student performance, give feedback to students, and maintain classroom records, such as daily attendance and grades.
Successful applicants will embody the mission-commitment, intellectual curiosity, openness to growth, optimism, and zest that are central to the character of our staff. In addition, they will meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) with a major, minor, or comparable credential of content expertise in math;
- Teaching license and experience as a middle school or high school teacher preferred;
- Experience working with English learners and/or proficiency in Spanish a plus.