The School Counselor is responsible for designing, developing, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive guidance and counseling program to address the social, emotional, educational, college and career goals and needs of all Middle and High School students.
The School Counselor will be expected to:
- Implement high school and middle school counseling curriculum, including classroom instruction, group activities, and student workshops that enhance academic, social and emotional learning to foster the success of all students.
- Meet with students on a regular basis to assess and evaluate academic progress, career goals, emotional well-being and path for success.
- Develop individual learning plans to enhance education achievement and attain career goals.
- Collaborate with SJCA faculty and staff to monitor ongoing student progress, and if appropriate, formulate a plan of action for success involving the student and the parent.
- Plan and/or promote programs which enhance the academic, social or emotional growth of students, such as speakers, College and Career Fairs, informational nights, college tours, assemblies and other opportunities for student and parent enrichment;
- Ensure that students are aware of requirements for graduation and college admission, as well as any NCAA requirements that may be necessary for athletic participation;
- Help students develop post-secondary educational plans in accordance with their interests, abilities and career plans;
- Assist students with the completion of college admissions and scholarship applications;
- Ensure that appropriate, accurate information is maintained in each student’s permanent, cumulative record; and make necessary schedule changes for individual students that are both appropriate for their abilities and aligned with their educational and career plans.
- Provide responsive services including, consultations, referrals and facilitating small groups for individual students with identified, common needs.
- Consult and serve as a resource for the SJCA community regarding the developmental needs of students, academically, socially, and emotionally.
- Maintain a professional attitude and loyalty to the school at all times.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the SJCA Leadership Team.
Coaching and club moderator opportunities are also available with this position.
Candidate must also attend a Circle of Care session (formerly known as Safeguarding All God's Children) prior to the first day of employment.