Join the Office for World Mission on a pilgrimage to explore the history, bounty of culture and spirituality of Ghana, West Africa from October 12-26, 2017.
Trip Description, Cost, and Application:
In 2001, the Office for World Mission hosted a Sankofa Experience focused on connecting with the cultural roots of Ghana, West Africa. Sankofa means "return and get it" and is a symbol of the importance of learning from the past. Now, you can join us for an opportunity to explore and reflect as we learn from the past to enhance our future.
Once in Ghana we will be greated by Expert Travel who will function as guides throughout the trip. There will be opportunities to meet with various representatives of the Catholic Church of Ghana. We will tour projects developed and operated by the Church. Details will be provided during the orientations in preparation for the trip.
Trip Dates: October 12-26, 2017
The application/registration and initial deposit deadline is March 1st, 2017. (see below)
Cost and Payment Information:
The cost for the trip is
- $2,700 per person for Double Occupancy
- $3,300 per person for Single Occupancy.
This cost includes the following:
- Round Trip ground transportation from Milwaukee to/from Chicago O’Hare
- Roundtrip airfare from Chicago O’Hare
- Hotel accommodation on bed and breakfast basis
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Lunch on a daily basis, except on day of arrival and departure
- Air conditioned vehicle with experienced driver
- Tour Guide service
- Entrance Fees to tour attractions mentioned in itinerary
- Gratuity (Tour Guide/Driver)
The cost does not include (pilgrim is responsible for) camera fees at tourist attractions, tips at airport and/or restaurants, beverages, Visa fees, inoculation costs (see health information and requirements, below), and International Travel Insurance (strongly recommended--see Trip/Accident/Health Insurance, below)
Payment Due Dates:
In order to pay for the tickets and other costs incurred while setting up the trip and to help with your budgeting, we have set up a payment schedule. A payment of at least the amount listed is due by each date below.
(You are welcome to pay more/sooner if you prefer)
- March 1st: $300 non-refundable deposit (includes $100 deposit for hold airline ticket)
- May 1st: First payment due--$800 for double occupancy or $1,000 for single occupancy
- July 1st: Second payment due--$800 for double occupancy or $1,000 for single occupancy
- Sept 1st: Final payment due--$800 for double occupancy or $1,000 for single occupancy
Check, cash and credit cards* are acceptable payment methods.
- Checks should be made payable to Office for World Mission. Please write Ghana Pilgrimage in the memo field and mail to
Office for World Mission
PO Box 070912
Milwaukee, WI 53207-0912
- Cash should not be mailed and can be paid directly to the Office at the Information or Orientation Sessions. Please call 414-758-2282 to arrange an in-person payment.
- Credit card payments* can be made online by clicking here or call 414-758-2281 to make a credit card payment by phone. *Please note: Credit card payments will incur a 3% fee to cover costs we are charged to process the payment (this fee does not count toward your trip cost).
To apply for the 2017 Pilgrimage to Ghana, please click here to access the online application.
The application, and a $300.00 nonrefundable deposit, are due by March 1, 2017. If you are unable to access the online application, please call 414-758-2280 for assistance.
Pre-trip Information meetings are to be decided. If you have questions, please call World Mission Ministries Office Director Antoinette Mensah at 414-758-2282.
To ensure the best possible experience, international mission trips require careful planning on the part of the World Mission Office, the parish, and every participant. Please read and consider the following items carefully.
There will be three orientation sessions scheduled to prepare you for the trip. These dates will be confirmed once applications are received.
If you already have a passport, please check its expiration date. It is now required for many countries that your passport be valid for at least six months beyond the dates of the trip.
If you do not have a passport, or your passport expires before April 1, 2019, you can visit http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html
Please note: Be sure to check the passport processing times, listed below the "get started" link, to ensure your chosen processing method will arrive in time.
Visas will be requested as a total group. Two months before departure you will be asked to complete and submit the application and fee for the Visa as follows:
- Single Entry Visa (must be used within 3 months from date of issue): $60.00
- Multiple Entry Visa: $100.00
For more information visit http://www.ghanaembassy.org/index.php?page=visas
Health Information and Requirements:
The climate in the Ghana can be quite hot and you must be comfortable walking some distances. Please consider your individual health needs and abilities. This ensures an enjoyable time for you and others who will be traveling with you.
Individual health needs vary so it is important to consult your health care provider regarding immunizations, medications you might need while traveling, and if it is advisable to participate in such a trip.
Special Note: Proof of vaccination against yellow fever (a yellow fever vaccination certificate) is required from all travelers when entering Ghana. Anti-malarial precautions are also advised. It is strongly recommended to contact your health official as soon as possible (but definitely at least 4-6 weeks prior to travel) for vaccinations.
For more information visit the GhanaWeb tourism page and the CDC's Health Information for Travelers to Ghana page.
It is important that all travelers have insurance in force that will respond to a medical emergency, accident, or trip complications. The World Mission Office does not provide medical, accident or trip insurance for participants on this pilgrimage. We strongly recommend that you contact a travel insurance specialty company to purchase insurance that will protect you on this trip and that you speak to your health insurance provider about your coverage and options.
What to Pack:
You will need to pack modest clothing and some supplies for your trip. Click here for list of items to prepare and pack for your trip to Ghana.
We will depart Milwaukee on October 12th on the 10:40 am Coach USA bus to O'Hare. (Any non-Milwaukee travelers are expected to arrive at O'Hare and meet at the International Terminal 5 by 1:00 p.m.) We need to check in 3 hours priors to our 4:00 p.m. departure on Delta/KLM with a change in Amsterdam.
We will depart Ghana at 10:05 p.m. on October 25 arriving in Chicago on October 26 at 1:55 p.m. We can discuss the return coach time and reserve our spot accordingly.
While in Ghana:
Please click here to access a tentative trip itinerary. Please note that the itinerary is subject to change.
Please call our office at 414-758-2282 to speak to Antoinette Mensah, our director. Or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org