Visit the four diocesan shrines of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee:
Basilica - National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, Holy Hill
Marian Shrine, Milwaukee
Sacred Heart Shrine, Hales Corners
Schoenstatt Shrine, Waukesha
Basilica - National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians
1525 Carmel Road
Hubertus, WI 53033 map
In 1861, while Fr. George Strickner was pastor of the Richfield parishes, the industrious German members of St. Augustine's congregation, especially those living near Holy Hill, made plans to build a log chapel on top the hill. Work on the chapel began in the summer of 1862.
The chapel was sixteen feet square and stood on a stone foundation facing west. A crucifix was mounted on the peak of the roof above the entrance. It had four windows, two facing north and two south. It stood about ten feet high from ground to eaves and eight feet from ceiling to floor. The inside walls and ceiling were plastered and painted. The walls were adorned with pictures and charts of Christian religious history. There were a number of crutches and other tokens of illness cured through prayer placed in the southwest corner of the chapel. Benches sat along each wall and in front of the altar. A brass container for holy water and an offering box completed the chapel interior. The workers finished on Good Friday 1863.
At the dedication ceremony on May 24, 1863 Fr. George Strickner stood on the front step of this simple log chapel and preached the first sermon from the Shrine of Mary - Help of Christians to about 1500 persons. In this sermon, Fr. Strickner used the name Holy Hill formally for the first time.
In winter of 1879, Fr. Raess summitted a proposal to Archbishop Henni for a new shrine at Holy Hill. He requested the service of H. C. Koch, a Milwaukee Architect. For $100, Mr. Koch provided plans, specifications and cost estimates for the second shrine. Work began in spring of 1879.
The pilgrim route via Hartford was popular between 1883 and 1893 while Fr. Nicholas M. Zimmer was pastor of St. Kilian's in Hartford. He coordinated and widely advertised the Hartford pilgrimages to Holy Hill. Fr. Zimmer became pastor of St. Kilian's in September of 1883 and simultaneously took on responsibility for Holy Hill."
Eventually, Holy Hill was placed in the care of a religious order - the Discalced Carmelite Friars. As an order dedicated to Mary, the Discalced Carmelites are especially suited for the care of the Shrine of Mary - Holy Hill.
6:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.
4:30 p.m. Vigil Mass (Saturday)
7:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m. & 12:30 p.m.
Archdiocesan Marian Shrine (Milwaukee Fatima Shrine)
141 N. 68th St.
Milwaukee, WI 53213 map
Our Lady appeared at Fatima, Portugal, in 1917, to three young shepherd children – Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco. She requested fasting, penance and prayer, but most of all, to pray the rosary for peace. It was in response to Our Lady’s request that the Milwaukee Fatima Shrine unfolded.
In 1947, Dominican Sisters built Milwaukee Fatima Shrine, Angel Shrine, Mysteries of the Rosary.
Every Sunday Evening from 6-6:45 p.m. - Rosary, Marian devotions, Litany of Loretto, Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Every Monday Evening from 6–7:30 p.m. - Rosary, Mother of Perpetual Help Devotions, Holy Mass (depending if a priest is available)
During inclement weather, services will be held in the shrine chapel located on the right side of the Marian Shrine – main grotto on the grounds.
In Honor of Our Lady of Fatima’s request, devotions are held from May-October on the 13th of the month (weekdays at 6 p.m., Saturday or Sunday at 2 p.m.). The services includes the Fatima Prayers, the complete rosary and holy Mass (depending on the availability of a priest).
Sacred Heart Shrine
7335 S. Highway 100
Hales Corners, WI 53130 map
Dedicated to the benefactors and friends of the Priests of the Sacred Heart, the Shrine of the Sacred Heart serves as a daily reminder of Christ’s infinite love for us. The shrine was dedicated on the feast of the Sacred Heart, June, 1989.
This shrine is a focal point for prayer and an external sign of devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It was built in the hope that people from all walks of life would come to pray and experience the love of His divine Heart.
Designed by a local artist and sculpted in Italy, the marble statue of the Sacred Heart rests upon a circular fountain, surrounded by walkways, benches and peaceful gardens.
The statue of the Sacred Heart shows His arms extended and open to the entire world. Standing on a globe, this statue recalls a favorite saying of the Venerable Leo John Dehon, SCJ: “The Sacred Heart for the world! The world for the Sacred Heart.!”
The fountain of flowing water recalls the living water which comes from the pierced side of Christ on the cross. This water cleanses the world of sin and restores our relationship with God. In the words of Fr. Dehon: “The Heart of Jesus is overflowing with compassion for all those who suffer: those beset by troubles, difficulties and hardships; for the hungry, for toilers, the destitute, the sick and infirm. His is the Heart of a Father, the Heart of a Mother, the Heart of a Shepherd.”
W284 N404 Cherry Ln.
Waukesha, WI 53188 map
The original Schoenstatt Shrine was founded on October 18, 1914, by Father Joseph Kentenich in Germany. Schoenstatt, as a movement of moral and religious renewal in the Catholic Church, works to help renew the Church and society in the spirit of the Gospel. It seeks to reconnect faith with daily life, especially through a deep love of Mary, the Mother of God. Through Mary, new avenues are opened to a vibrant relationship with Christ, to the Holy Spirit, to God the Father and to a renewal of love of neighbor and self. Pope John Paul II said to the Schoenstatt Family in 1985: “An authentic Marian spirituality leads to a deep love for the Church.”
As a place of grace, Schoenstatt has touched the lives of millions. The Schoenstatt Shrine is the movement’s spiritual home and center of life; however, anyone is welcome and invited to come and pray. The shrine is dedicated to Mary as the Mother Thrice Admirable, Queen and Victress of Schoenstatt. Visitors come with open and believing hearts to receive special graces which the Mother Thrice Admirable, Queen and Victress intercedes for them:
- The grace of finding a home in the heart of the Blessed Mother, Jesus and ultimately God the Father, especially in our time when more and more people are turning away from God.
- The grace of inner transformation where she heals our hearts, fills us with faith and hope and strengthens us to master life as the persons God intended each one to be as His sons and daughters, and
- The grace of apostolic fruitfulness where she sends us out to bring Christ anew to others who need to hear the message that God loves them and cares about them, and to help them to return home to the heart of God the Father.