Emmaus 90 practices
We know. Commitments can be tricky. "Is this too much?" "Will I fall short?" "Do I have what it takes?" Below are the daily and weekly practices we encourage Emmaus 90 pilgrims to strive to live during our 90-day journey together. We've broken them down into three main areas: time for God, time for connection, and time for excellence. You're not going to do everything perfectly. It's not going to go 100% according to plan. But God will bless your daily striving, you will see your faith grow. We encourage you to be generous with your life during these 90 days. God is never outdone in generosity. He is calling you to greatness and will give you all that you need.
Time for God
- Daily Prayer - Spend at least 15 minutes a day in prayer with Sacred Scripture (daily passages provided)
- Daily Examen - You'll be provided with a prompt to examine your day and where God was speaking to you
- Daily Journal - Your Guidebook contains a pages to jot down what God seems to be showing you in your prayer with Scripture and your Examen. Looking back at these notes will help you to see how God is leading you.
- More Time in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament - In addition to Sunday Mass, spend some time praying in the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament. Some pilgrims commit to at least one of their daily prayer sessions in the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament. Others commit to come to Mass early to pray in the presence of the tabernacle or spend a holy hour (or an additional holy hour) in an adoration chapel. Discern how the Lord is inviting you and what will work for you in your current life circumstances.
- Frequent Confession - Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation at least once a month. A guide to the Sacrament of Reconciliation is provided in your Guidebook.
Time for Connection
- Weekly Pilgrim Group - we encourage each Emmaus 90 Pilgrim to find a group of 2-3 friends, family, or fellow parishioners to connect with weekly (in-person or online) for encouragement, accountability, and community in a 30-60 minute discussion. Discussion questions are provided.
- Weekly 30-minute Formation Session Livestream (or Recording) connects you to Catholic Church teaching and all the pilgrims from across the Archdiocese taking this journey together.
- Most Pilgrim Groups plan a weekly 90 minute meeting to watch the Formation Session together and have their discussion. Some Pilgrim Groups watch the Formation Session on their own and get together for their group discussion at another time.
- Some Parishes are hosting a “watch party” where all Pilgrim Groups can connect with all the Emmaus 90 pilgrims from their parish to watch the Formation Session together and discuss in their smaller Pilgrim Groups. Discern what will work for your life and group.
Time for Excellence
- Live Sundays well - Strive to make space on Sundays for prayer, rest, leisure, friends and family.
- Fast from meat on Fridays - Offer up your fast for someone in need.
- Do small things with great love - Look for opportunities to love and serve Jesus in the last, least, lost, and lonely in your life.
- Choose one virtue to practice - Choose one stretch goal, ask God to help you, and strive to practice it daily.