Bishop Donald J. Hying, 2011-2015
Most Reverend Donald J. Hying was ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee on May 20, 1989. On July 20, 2011, he was ordained the seventh auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.
On November 24, 2014, Pope Francis named him bishop of the Diocese of Gary, Ind. He was installed as the fourth bishop of Gary, Ind. on January 6, 2015.
Prior to being named auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, Bishop Hying served as rector of Saint Francis de Sales Seminary from 2007 to 2011, appointed by then-Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan. Bishop Hying served as temporary administrator at St. Augustine Parish, Milwaukee in 2006, then as dean of Formation at Saint Francis de Sales Seminary, from 2005 to 2007. He was pastor at Our Lady of Good Hope Parish, Milwaukee from 1999 to 2005 and St. Anthony Parish, Milwaukee from 1998 to 1999. Bishop Hying also served as temporary administrator at St. Peter Parish, East Troy, 1998 and as a team member for La Sagrada Familia Parroquia, Dominican Republic from 1994 to 1997. His first priestly assignment was as associate pastor for St. Anthony Parish, Menomonee Falls from 1989 to 1994.
Bishop Hying is a native of West Allis, Wisconsin. Born to Albert and Catherine Hying (both deceased) on August 18, 1963, he is the youngest of six sons. After attending St. Aloysius and Immaculate Heart of Mary grade schools, he graduated from Brookfield Central High School and Marquette University. He earned his Masters of Divinity from Saint Francis de Sales Seminary, and is currently pursuing a Doctor of Ministry degree from the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary. Bishop Hying is also the spiritual advisor for the Saint Vincent de Paul Society.
Bishop William Patrick Callahan, 2007-2010
Most Reverend William Patrick Callahan, OFM. Conv., born June 17, 1950, is a Conventual Franciscan* of the St. Bonaventure Province in Chicago. A Chicago native, he attended St. Mary Minor Seminary in Crystal Lake, Ill., and studied at Junior College, Chicago, before being accepted in the Novitiate of St. Bonaventure at Lake Forest, Ill., where he continued his formation from 1969 to 1970. From 1970 to 1973, he studied at Loyola University, Chicago, earning a bachelor's degree in Radio and Television Communications. He earned his master's of divinity degree from St. Michael's College at the University of Toronto in 1976.
Bishop Callahan was ordained to the priesthood on April 30, 1977, by Milwaukee Archbishop William E. Cousins. His first priestly assignment was as associate pastor of the Basilica of St. Josaphat Parish, Milwaukee, from 1977 to 1978. Bishop Callahan then served as the director of vocations for the Conventual Franciscans from 1978 to 1984; as associate pastor of Holy Family Parish, Peoria, Ill., from 1984 to 1987; and as pastor of Holy Family Parish, Peoria, from 1987-1994.
In 1994, Bishop Callahan returned to Milwaukee and the St. Josaphat congregation. He served as rector and pastor of St. Josaphat Parish until 2005. At that time, he left the parish and went to serve as spiritual director for the Pontifical North American College, the seminary for Americans, Rome, until December 14, 2007.
After Rome, Pope Benedict XVI named Callahan an auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee on October 30, 2007. He was the first Conventual Franciscan to be named a bishop in the United States. As an auxiliary bishop, Bishop Callahan served the Church by helping the diocesan bishop in the pastoral and spiritual leadership of a diocese, and by assisting the diocesan bishop in his role as shepherd – through teaching, leading, serving and celebrating the sacraments with the people of the diocese.
On April 20, 2009, the College of Consultors elected him to serve as the administrator of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. He served as the administrator until Most Reverend Jerome E. Listecki was installed as archbishop of Milwaukee on January 4, 2010.
On June 11, 2010, Pope Benedict XVI named him bishop of the Diocese of La Crosse. He was installed as the tenth bishop of La Crosse on August 11, 2010.
The youngest of four children, Callahan has two older sisters and one older brother. His parents, Ellen and William Callahan, are deceased.
*The religious order of Conventuals are members of the world wide Franciscan Order, who were granted approval from the Church in 1209.
Bishop Leo Joseph Brust, 1969-1991
Bishop Brust was born January 7, 1916 in St. Francis, Wisconsin. He was the youngest of five children. He attended St. Stephen School in New Coeln (by the airport) and studied at St. Francis Seminary and Canisianum in Austria. His studies in Europe were disrupted by World War II and he was transferred to Catholic University of America to finish his studies. He was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee May 30, 1942 at St. Anne Church in Milwaukee
Bishop Brust was assigned to St. Jude in Wauwatosa in 1942, and in 1944 was named Vice Chancellor. In 1948 was appointed Chancellor of the Archdiocese, where he served for 21 years.
He was ordained a Bishop October 16, 1969 in Mater Christi Chapel of De Sales Preparatory Seminary and named Vicar General of the Archdiocese. He was also appointed pastor of Christ the King in Wauwatosa. In addition to his duties as Bishop, he also served as Vicar of Finance, Vicar for Parish Affairs, and Episcopal Delegate for the Departments of Finance, Administration and Clergy Personnel. He retired in 1991 but continued to reside at the Cousins Center and participate in Archdiocesan activities. He died January 31, 1995 after battling a number of health problems.
Bishop Roman R. Atkielski, 1947-1969
Bishop Atkielski was born the ninth of twelve children on August 5, 1898 in Milwaukee. He attended St. Casimir and St. Mary Czestochowa schools in Milwaukee and later attended the Jesuit Prairie du Chien Campion Academy and Marquette University. He did not enter Seminary directly, but instead worked for nine years to help support his family after his three older brothers left for World War I.
In 1927, he entered St. Francis Seminary and was ordained in 1931 at St. John Cathedral. He worked first as Assistant Pastor of St. Stanislaus and St. Mary Czestochowa in Milwaukee, before serving the diocese as secretary to Archbishop Stritch, Chancellor of the Diocese and Diocesan Consulter. He was appointed by the Pope as a Papal Chamerberlain in 1938 and was made a Domestic Prelate in 1944.
He was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Milwaukee on August 2, 1947 and served the diocese for 22 years. In addition to his duties as Auxiliary, he was also appointed pastor of St. Sebastian in Milwaukee and Christ King in Wauwatosa. He died June 30, 1969 after collapsing in the rectory of Christ King Parish. He is buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Milwaukee.
Bishop Edward Kozlowski, 1913-1915
Bishop Kozlowski was born November 21, 1860 in Tarnow in the Austrian region Poland. He studied at the Tarnow Preparatory College and began his studies for the priesthood in 1885 at St. Francis Seminary.
He was first ordained a priest for Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1887, and in 1913 was appointed an Auxiliary Bishop for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee under Archbishop Messmer. He was also assigned to the large Polish parish, St. Stanislaus. He died August 1, 1915 of blood poisoning and is buried in Milwaukee.
Bishop Joseph Maria Koudelka, 1911-1913
Bishop Koudelka was born December 8, 1852 in Clistovo, Bohemia. At age 16 he immigrated with his parents to Reedsville, WI. He attended Mount Calvary, before studying philosophy and theology at St. Francis Seminary. In part because of his knowledge of languages, he occasionally filled in as a substitute teacher at the seminary. He spoke English, German, French, Polish, Slovac, Bohemian, Slovenian, Russian and Magyar. He was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Cleveland in 1875. During his time in Cleveland, he worked with Bohemian and German immigrants.
In 1908, he was named auxiliary Bishop of Cleveland, and on September 4, 1911, he was appointed as Auxiliary Bishop to Archbishop Messmer for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. In addition to his duties as bishop he was appointed pastor of St. Peter and Paul Parish in Milwaukee. He was later named Bishop of the Superior Diocese in 1913. He died June 24, 1921 and is buried at St. Mary Cemetery in Cleveland near his parents.
Bishop Koudelka was known for working beyond the borders of his diocese and worked with over a hundred missions for Bohemian Catholics in different areas of the country.